05 June 2011

M.I.A.

Apologies, apologies. The conservationist in me died and went MIA for the last couple of months. I don't think I'll have anything meaningful to write about for a while till exams are over and I'm back in India later this month. I've taken a huge liking to procrastination lately, quite a problem. Strange tasting homemade ice tea, sudoku on my phone and listening to a bunch of amazing new music combined with re-discovered old stuff from the archives does not help. It's a disease in fact. Neither does this new addiction to sleep that I have. But it's ok, I'll pull through, go home and blog about exciting things again shortly. Listening to Foo Fighters' M.I.A. while writing this, case in point I guess :)

Once again I'm torn about where this degree will take me...I need to stress on this, so here are all my course options for next year:
  • Life on Land: Plants
  • Human Evolution
  • Global Change Ecology
  • Conservation: Genes, Populations and Biodiversity
  • Ecosystem Ecology
  • Systematics and Macroevolution
  • Atmospheric Science
  • Environmental Change and Challenge
  • Sustainability and the Environment
  • Geographic Thought
  • Marine Systems
  • Ocean and Atmospheric Dynamics
  • Ocean Circulation
  • Marine Ecology
  • Inland Water Ecosystems
  • Vertebrates: Biology and Behavioural Ecology
  • Marine Resources
I used to think having all these options is great, that I'm spoilt for choice. But this is just ridiculous. I want to take almost all of them. Plus I now really want to line myself up to be eligible for this Organised Tropical Studies (OTS) course which consists of 100 days in the field. My friend Nick did it and it sounds like the most amazing experience. I'm absolutely dying to go for it but of course that means I must impress the botany and zoology departments :S Sigh, UCT offers too much for me to choose from...

Something about this story on coral reef mining is really bothering me. I never really knew mining was a threat to coral reefs. You'd think that with every other threat to their survival, mining would be the last thing allowed but no... And now islands are sinking because of it. The best word I can think of to describe this is mind-boggling. Ocean acidification, bleaching, irresponsible fishermen and tourists, collectors, pollution - as if that wasn't enough to worry about now we're mining reefs too? 

Anyway, I'm currently fighting to break this habit of procrastinating so I can study for my final exam. The fact that it's an oceanography does not help. Huge huge nervousness. But I'm excited to finish the semester and blog again. I just rediscovered poems that we had to write in IB English. In spite of the fact that they're hilariously contrived attempts at poetry, they've gotten me really excited to write more. I enjoy it a lot more than I realised. It's fun playing with words to get thoughts out :) Maybe that's what's been missing.

Anyhow, enough rambling. Watch this space :)

Bookmark and Share

1 comment:

  1. Oh jeez, *mining* of coral reefs?! I'd never heard of this.
    At least it's now illegal...

    ReplyDelete